Directions: A word or phrase is missing in each of the sentences below. Four answer choices are given below each sentence. Select the best answer to complete the sentence. Then mark the letter (A), (B), (C), or (D) on your answer sheet.
101, ——- account will be credited after we receive the returned merchandise
- Late entries for the cake decoration contest will not be ——-.
- The newspaper has seen an ——- in the number of subscribers who read the online version.
104, Every attorney at the firm of Duncan and Hulce has practiced law ——- more than ten years.
- Prethart Tool Company has created a more—— drill than its previous models.
- To find out if an item on this Web site is in stock, ——- highlight the item and click the “Check on it” button.
- Mr. Jones ——- Ms. Cheng’s clients while she is on a business trip to Hong Kong.
(A) will assist
(C) to assist
(D) is assisted
- The Jossty Company offers insurance policies to renters at the lowest rates ——-.
- ——– the Editorial Department receives the author’s final approval, the manuscript should be sent to the printer.
(A) As soon as
(C) In the meantime
(D) For example
- Sidewalks in the town of Newburgh are –—– one meter wide.
111, The housing authority has formed a ——- to look for new construction locations.
- A recent study has found that those ——- regularly read food labels tend to be heaithier.
- If you are not ——- with your Electoshine toothbrush, you may return it for a full refund.
114, DG Feed Supply has shown strong growth heading —–— the end of the fiscal year.
- Book fair volunteers may be asked to work longer shifts if the need ——–.
(C) had arisen
- On Tuesday, Mr. Molina will visit the Seoul office for the first time ——- becoming vice-president of operations.
- Attendees said the fireworks were the most a part of the festival.
- The interview panel felt that Dinah Ong’s education fit the job description of junior accountant —–.
- The new software makes it possible to track purchases ——- at multiple points-of-sale.
120, ——- the next few months, Camion Vehicles will add more features to its sedans.
- Altona Printing is expecting a ——- upturn in holiday card orders in the next faw weeks.
- By creating innovative packaging ——- , EK2 Beverages hopes consumers will reuse their water bottles.
- Throughout her tenure at LPID Systems, Ms. Patterson has ——- at defining complex concepts in simple terms.
- Winslet Food Service has ——- to expand the cafeteria’s menu offerings.
- ——–the results of the customer survey, we may consider extending the store’s evening hours until 9 P.M.
(B) Depending on
(D) In order for
- Yerrow Cameras’ lenses have a long telephoto reach yet an ——- lightweight casing.
- After postponing her studies for many years, Ms. Ruiz —–— earned a degree in law.
- A favorable report on the ——- of Seesom Eyewear convinced the partners to invest in the company.
- In Monday’s meeting, Mr. Ito ——- the need to hire enough workers for the peak season.
- Pugh Tower won the Best New Building Award for its creative ——- of sustainable materials.
Directions: Read the texts that follow. A word, phrase, or sentence is missing in parts of each text. Four answer choices for each question are given below the text. Select the best answer to complete the text. Then mark the letter (A), (B), (C), or (D) on your answer sheet.
Questions 131-134 refer to the following memo.
From: Janine Farber
To: Barker Marketing Group employees
Date: September 25
Subject: Entryway improvements
As many of you have noticed, the main entrance of our building is in (131)——– condition. It is in desperate need of attention. Therefore, beginning at 6 p.m. on Friday, the main entrance (132) ——- for approximately one month as it is renovated. The changes will give the entryway a more streamlined and contemporary appearance.
(133)——- the main entrance is closed, employees and visitors may use the side entrances to gain access to the building. (134)——-
(A) All ground floor offices will remain accessible.
(B) The construction firm has won several awards.
(C) The building is more than 50 years old.
(D) The board of directors is discussing the project.
(B) was closing
(C) will be closed
(D) had been closed
(D) In the meantime
Questions 135-138 refer to the following article.
(May 2)—Automotive-manufacturing company Lybera, Inc., today announced that Harvey Ramirez has been appointed as the new chairperson of jis board of directors. He (135)—–Helen McGavick, who has resigned in order to pursue a new business venture.
“We thank Ms. McGavick for her service and wish her success in her (136)——- endeavors,” said Fen Wang, Lybera’s president and CEO.
Mr. Ramirez has spent ten years as CEO of aerospace-engineering firm Elia Aviation. (137)—— he held a variety of senior management roles across public and private sectors.
“Mr. Ramirez’s familiarity with sophisticated technology, combined with his leadership experience, makes him well suited to lead our company,” said Mr. Wang (138)——–
(B) was replacing
(C) has been replaced
(D) would have replaced
(A) These meetings take place on a regular basis.
(B) The product is currently being developed.
(C) We hope to learn more about the position.
(D) We look forward to his guidance.
Questions 139-142 refer to the following letter.
Dear Ms. Nguyen,
We appreciate your feedback regarding Medusa Airways’ flight 859, which was scheduled to depart at 9:35 a.m. on 19 February. We are sorry that this flight (139) ——-. We have decided to compensate you for the (140) ——-. We have refunded the unused portion of your ticket, valued at $410. Also, we will reimburse the $200 you paid in hotel charges resulting (141) ——– the disruption. (142) ——–. Please allow up to five business days for the transactions to process.
Customer Relations Manager
(A) was canceled ,
(B) will be canceled
(C) had to cancel
(D) is canceling
(A) We hope you have an enjoyable trip.
(B) Both amounts have been credited to your account.
(C) Your complaint will soon be reviewed.
(D) Thank you for your understanding.
Questions 143-146 refer io the jollowing e-mail.
To: Film crew
From: Sandeep Goswami
Date: Monday, October 2
Subject: Barn scene retake
This is a reminder that on Saturday we will be doing a retake of the advertisement featuring the, horses at Willow Stables. Filming with animals can be unpredictable, and last week we were not able to get the footage we needed. (143)——-, | would like to begin promptly at 6:00 a.m. so that we can film from a number of angles before lunch. As lang as everyone is punctual and everything goes well, we should get the footage we need by then.(144) ——- .
| also want to (145) ——- the fact that the set is closed to all who are not absolutely essential to the filming of the scene. Anyone else will be too much of a (146) ——-
(A) Oth erwise
(B) In either case
(C) If possible
(A) | was impressed by the rehearsal. 146. (A) distraction
(B) Luckily, it is not noticeable to viewers. (B) distracting
(C) We will need different equipment. (C) distracted
(D) However, it may take the full day. (D) distract
Directions: In this part you will reac a selection of texts, such as magazine and newspaper articles, e-mails, and instant messages. Each text or set of texts is followed by several questions. Select the best answer for each question and mark the letter (A), (B), (C), or (D) on your answer sheet.
Questions 147-148 refer to the following notice.
For many years, we at Star Designs have strived to offer quality apparel at competitive prices. Unfortunately, as a quick glance at our online store shows, we have been forced to increase our prices recently. Every effort has been made to avoid this, but because of the growing costs of cotton and most fabrics that we use to sew our colorful shirts and formal wear, we could no longer afford to maintain our prices. However, we will continue to provide the excellent quality and customer-oriented approach that you have come to appreciate with Star Designs.
Thank you for your understanding and your continued loyalty!
- What does Star Designs produce?
- What is being announced?
(A) A grand opening
(B) An expanded product line
(C) A change in prices
(B) An upgraded online store
Questions 149-150 refer to the following brochure.
- What is suggested about Acadetech?
(A) It works mainly with large companies.
(B) lt investigates Web site security breaches.
(C) It offers a variety of Web site designs.
(D) It provides delivery service for online-shopping businesses.
- With what feature is Mr. Schroeder particularly pleased?
(A) The security
(B) The speed
(C) The simplicity
(D) The adaptability
Questions 151-153 refer to the following e-mail.
- Where most likely does Mr. Chopra work?
(A) At a travel agency and
(B) Ata publishing company belong?
(C) At a restaurant
(D) At a financial consulting company
- What does Mr. Chopra write that Mr. Pressler will do?
(A) Go to the market
(B) Plan a lunch meeting
(C) Begin a new project
(D) Send some e-mails
- In which of the positions marked , , ,  does the following sentence best
“While there, we put together a project list, which includes all of the associated tasks.”
Questions 154-155 refer to the following text-message chain.
- What is Ms, Channa’s problem?
(A) She missed her train.
(B) She has been delayed.
(C) She is not prepared to give a presentation.
(D) She forgot to contact the interns.
- At 8:49 a.m., what does Ms. Channa mean when she writes, “Yes, that definitely works’?
(A) A train has started to move.
(B) A machine is operating correctly.
(C) The suggested plan is a good one.
(D) She was able to change her travel schedule.
Questions 156-1593 refer to the following article.
- The word “boom” in paragraph 1, line 2, is closest in meaning to
- Who most likely is Dr. Belanger?
(A) The president of the Provincial Small Business Center
(B) A small-business owner
(C) The mayor of Preston
(D) A university professor
- What does Dr. Belanger state about small businesses? ,
(A) The government has opened a new office to help them.
(B) Their impact extends to larger organizations.
(C) They provide inexperienced employees with training.
(D) They are closing throughout the province.
Questions 159-160 refer to the following e-mail.
- What does the e-mail suggest about Ms. Paxton?
(A) She has requested information from Lenford Financial.
(B) She is a finance professional.
(C) She has been a Lenford Financial customer for many years.
(D) She was not able to log in to her account.
- What is Ms. Paxton instructed to do?
(A) Call an account representative
(B) Request a temporary password
(C) Take a survey over the phone
(D) Submit a form online
Questions 161-163 refer to the following job advertisement.
- Why is the lab-assistant position being offered?
(A) Building renovations have been completed.
(B) Equipment has been modernized.
(C) Some employees have left.
(D) Hours of operation have changed
- What is NOT a requirement of the job?
(A) A degree in graphic design
(B) A desire to help others
(C) Coding knowledge
- How should applicants apply for the position?
(A) By telephone
(B) By e-mail
(C) By express mail
(D) In person
Questions 164-167 refer to the following e-mail.
- Why did Mr. Takeda send the e-mail?
(A) To inquire about attending a trade show
(B) To discuss an upcoming meeting
(C) To follow up on a recent conversation
(D) To schedule a product demonstration
- What is suggested about Mr. Rogerson?
(A) He rarely travels for work.
(B) He is involved in farming.
(C) He specializes in environmental science.
(D) He designed a smartphone application.
- According to the e-mail, what can the DSKT greenhouse system do?
(A) Water plants
(B) Disable machinery
(C) Control lighting
(D) Transmit information
- In which of the positions marked , , .and  does the following sentence best belong?
“lam confident it will illustrate how our system can meet your needs.”
Questions 168-171 refer to the following notice.
- What is the purpose of the notice?
(A) To advertise an art class
(B) To promote a yearly exhibition
(C) To publicize the sale of a sculpture
(D) To announce the opening of a museum
- What is indicated about the works of art?
(A) They were produced by students.
(B) They represent a common theme.
(C) They include some pieces from private collections.
(D) They are mostly paintings.
- What is mentioned about Mr. Olson?
(A) He is a recent university graduate.
(B) He manages a Web site.
(C) He has a parking permit.
(D) He traveled to another country.
- What is NOT suggested about the event?
(A) Refreshments will be served.
(B) Artists will speak with attendees.
(C) Free parking is available
(D) Demonstrations will be given.
Questions 172-175 refer to the following online chat discussion.
- What are the writers discussing?
(A) Changing a work procedure
(B) Hiring experienced inspectors
(C) Siaffing a new department
(D) Creating additional paper forms
- What is suggested about the writers’?
(A) They train dental assistants.
(B) They manage other employees.
(C) They are determining a budget.
(D) They are purchasing computers.
- At 9:38 4.u., what does Ms. Parrin most likely mean when she writes, “Exactly”?
(A) She knows how many years of experience are required.,
(B) She wants to make sure all the paperwork is accurate.
(C) She thinks Mr. Qian’s idea will resolve a problem.
(D) She believes Mr. Watanabe’s estimate is correct.
- What will Mr. Watanabe most likely do on Friday?
(A) Present a lesson to the inspectors
(B) Distribute a survey to the trainers
(C) Learn to use an electronic form
(D) Suggest a solution io a problem
Questions 176-180 refer to the following memo and form
- What is the purpose of the memo?
(A) To explain a new requirement
(B) To inform staff about a benefit
(C) To suggest a process improvement
(D) To introduce cost-saving measures
- Where will a company activity take place?
(A) At Lellar Manufacturing
(B) At Union City Hospital
(C) At a local doctor’s office
(D) At a nearby production facility
- What topic will be covered in September?
(A) Easy Stretching
(B) Good Food Choices
(C) Tips for Better Sleep
(D) Starting an Exercise Group
- Why has Mr. De Santos paid a fee?
(A) He returned his training materials late.
(B) He needs to replace some training items.
(C) He is not a regular employee.
(D) He requested an extra class.
- Who must provide an approval?
(A) Ms. Brown
(B) Mr. Herrell
(C) Ms. Katzen
(D) Mr. Sanders
Questions 181-185 refer to the following text message, article and review.
- To whom is the Klockner Prize awarded?
(A) Journalism professors
(C) Newspaper editors
(D) Book authors
- What is suggested about Ms. Fadulu?
(A) She is based in Andover.
(B) She often goes to Canada to see her relatives.
(C) She has interviewed people who live in her hometown.
(D) She studied several languages at university.
- In the e-mail, the word “nice” in paragraph 1, line 2, is closest in meaning to
- What article does Mr. Tsang want to develop into a column?
(A) “Culture Up Close”
(B) “A Night Out in London’
(C) “Exploring on a Budget”
(D) “Hiking South America
- What does Mr. Tsang want to do on December 16 7
(A) Try a new restaurant
(B) Watch a show
(C) Have a meeting
(D) Teach a class
Questions 186-190 refer to the following proposal forms and e-mail.
- Who most likely is Mr. Acosta?
(A) The owner of Sethi Technologies
(B) Acolleague of Mr. Tierney
(C) A facilities manager
(D) Arepresentative of Geo Carpet Care
187, When should customers pay Freshen Carpets for their services?
(A) Upon signing the proposal
(B) Within thirty days of the praposal’s submission
(C) The day the cleaning is completed
(D) Upon receiving an invoice in the mail
- What do both companies offer to customers?
(A) Amonthly payment plan
(B) Achoice of cleaning products
(C) Aservice warranty
(D) Adiscount for new customers
- What does Mr. Tierney ask all employees to do?
(A) Move desks and chairs
(B) Remove breakable items
(C) Work at home on Friday
(D) Review two proposals
- What is suggested about Sethi Technologies?
(A) It hired Freshen Carpets.
(B) It will close later then usual on Friday, June 26.
(C) It is a long-time customer of Geo Carpet Care.
(D) Its facilities staff will open the office early on Monday.
Questions 191-195 refer to the following text message, article and review.
- Why did Mr. Forletti send the text message?
(A) To explain why a project’s cast will increase
(B) To ask for help in solving an electrical problem
(C) To warn that a delivery will be delayed
(D) To discuss a problem with a contractor
- Where was Mr. Forletti when he sent the text message?
(A) On a train
(B) At a restaurant
(C) At a proposed hotel site
(D) In an electrical contractor’s office
- What does the article suggest about Mr, Lewison?
(A) He is purchasing a hotel.
(B) He created a dining menu.
(C) He was the architect of a building.
(D) He is the coordinator of a renovation.
194, What does the article indicate about the Millway Road Train Station?
(A) It included a world-class restaurant.
(B) It was owned by Mr. Griffiths’ father.
(C) It was located near a famous garden.
(D) It had been abandoned for many years.
- What is suggested in Ms. Ko’s review?
(A) The hotel’s quest rooms are quite large.
(B) The hotel did not open as scheduled.
(C) A café is located on the hotel’s top floor.
(D) Internet access was too expensive.
Questions 196-200 refer to the following text message, article and review.
- According to the first e-mail, what is true about the Optisafe software?
(A) lt is replacing another software program.
(B) Itis used for data analysis.
(C) It has undergone significant updates.
(D) It is the focus of monthly trainings.
- According to the schedule, what do the Abacus Deepthink trainings have in common?
(A) They are given on the same day of the month.
(B) They are taught by the same instructor.
(C) They are delivered through a Web site.
(D) They all start at the same time.
- Why did Mr. Ramos-Toro write to Ms. Hedlund?
(A) To register for a training session
(B) To ask for help resolving a conflict
(C) To report a software malfunction
(D) To request additional time off
- What is suggested about Mr. Ramos-Toro?
(A) He works in the Drug Safety department.
(B) He completed a required training.
(C) He is Ms. Hedlund’s supervisor.
(D) He wants an alternative position in the company.
- When will Mr. Ramos-Toro most likely complete a training?
(A) On November 14
(B) On November 17
(C) On November 22
(D) On November 27